From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 22:08:04 -0600
James Tobin wrote:

>A few days ago I tuned on the radio and heard a ravishing solo for soprano
>and orchestra, which I didn't know but which I assumed would turn out to
>be by Richard Strauss, because it was reminiscent of the Four Last Songs.
>The announcement told me it was an aria from Korngold's opera, Die tote
>Stadt, which I had never heard of before, let alone heard.  Today I heard
>another excerpt, this time sung by Thomas Hampton.  I never heard a work
>by Korngold that actually impressed me before.  Can anyone here comment
>on this opera?

Ahhh, ne'er was more sublime music set to such a goofy story.  This is
marvelous music which I first came across in the film "Aria" that was out
about ten years ago.  Korngold's music is very lush, he wrote three operas
(Violanta and Das Wunder der Heliane being the other two).  He loved to
write in sharp keys (F# major, G# major etc) which I believe gives his
music a unique timbral quality.  There are two recordings out that I know
of, one on Naxos which is fine, conducted by Lief Segerstam, and another
by Leinsdorf on RCA.  It's Thomas Hampson, not Hampton, by the way.

Enjoy!

Kevin Sutton