From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:34:05 PST
Ian Crisp wrote:

>What constitutes "better music"? (Don's original phrase).

In a previous posting on this thread, I stated I did not believe that
composers or works could be ranked on an objective basis.  That's primarily
because I consider music a subjective field and the love of humans for
music emotionally grounded.

When I used the phrase "better music", I was attempting to elicit
*response*.  But its meaning to me is simply - liked more by an individual.

>What makes one composer "greater" than another?

You can measure sales volume, gross receipts/income, concert attendance -
NUMBERS, but you can't measure the quality of a composer or composition.
We see the subjectiveness of music on this list every day.  Pick any
composer and there's at least one list member who thinks that composer is
not worthy and one who thinks the composer is great.  Each time, no list
member has been able to "prove" his/her position, for no proof exists.

Don Satz