From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 17:56:18 PST
Achim Breiling wrote:

>I just wondered recently which classical work has been recorded most
>often so far.  I guess its something by Mozart but...somebody knows
>if anybody cared to count this?

Nothing by Mozart comes close to being the most recorded work.  After
exhaustive research (not quite), the results are:

Beethoven's 5th and 9th symphonies are at the top.

Close behind are:

Beethoven's Emperor Concerto and Eroica Symphony.
Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.
Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.
Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto no.1 and Romeo & Juliet.
Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

My main man, Bach, is led by the Goldberg Variations.

The above is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Sources must be kept anonymous to protect the innocents of the world.

Don Satz