From:
Nadine Meylan-Meertens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:21:24 +0100
I recently became acknowledged with a wonderful chamber music work called
The Maiden and Death (not Death and the Maiden) by Matthus, a contemporary
composer of ex-East Germany, played by the Petersen Quartet.  On the
contrary of Schuberts quartet/Lied, here the maiden is not taken away by
Death against her will, but searches her, and provokes her: paraphrase
about drug problems...  The fascinating music (I am only using music as
a drug, not anything else except swiss chocolate!) shows us the vaporous
well-being and overestimation of the drug user, then a sort of diabolical
dance and the empty feeling and paranoia which follow afterwards.  To all
string quartet lovers, I would recommend this CD containing also Schuberts
quartet (which is also well-interpreted, at least I think so), both played
by the Petersen.  Has anybody already heard it? A discussion would be of
interest.

Nadine Meylan-Meertens <[log in to unmask]>