From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:01:01 -0800
Disclaimer: GMN is a new advertiser at Classical Net.  They did not
suggest I post this, nor am I doing so out of any desire for monetary gain.
It seems to be an interesting development some list members may be want
to investigate.  This is the first half of their press release.

   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

   Andrea Bocelli's Fist Operatic Run in North America Concludes with
   Live Audio and Video Webcast on GMN.com - Live from the Detroit Opera
   House

   GMN.com's Online Millennium Series Kicks-off with Michigan Opera
   Theatre's Production of the French Opera Werther on Sunday, November
   14th at 3:00 p.m.  (EST)

   San Diego, CA (November 11, 1999) - Global Music Network (www.gmn.com),
   the Internet's premier site for complete live performance of classical
   music, opera, and jazz, will webcast Andrea Bocelli's fifth and final
   performance of Michigan Opera Theatre's production of Massenet's
   opera Werther, live from the newly refurbished Detroit Opera House
   on Sunday, November 14, 1999 at 3:00 p.m.  (EST).  As part of GMN.com's
   "Millennium Series," the online music network will give viewers a
   chance to register to see and listen to one of the most talked-about
   events of the performing arts season, as Mr. Bocelli sings the lead
   role in the French opera, along side world-famous mezzo-soprano Denyce
   Graves.  Last year Michigan Opera Theatre's General Director, Dr.
   David DiChiera, invited Andrea Bocelli to sing the role of Werther
   after seeing him perform in a recital in Montreal.

   Mr. Bocelli, whose phenomenal worldwide success has included over
   20 million album sales, has a tremendous reputation in the worlds of
   both classical and popular music.  He has appeared in many of the
   world's leading venues and festivals, including performing at the
   Academy Awards last year, and for the Pope on Christmas Eve, 1994.
   Mr. Bocelli noted, "when it comes to these two styles of music my
   soul is basically divided into two.  I have an excellent relationship
   with pop music, which remains with me through moments of escapism,
   enjoyment, and amusement.  Nevertheless, opera, of course, still
   remains my heart's music, and with it the world of classical music."

   "GMN.com intends to webcast musical events of note, even controversial
   ones, and Andrea Bocelli's first North American opera performance
   certainly is such an event.  We believe that this will provide his
   millions of fans the chance to watch and listen to him fulfill his
   passion of performing opera," said GMN.com's Chairman and CEO Michael
   Lubin.  "In addition, it will expose many to a genre of music that
   they may be unfamiliar with."

You can register for the event by visiting the links section of
Classical Net and clicking on the banner, or by visiting GMN directly
at: http://cn.gmn.com/

Dave
http://www.classical.net/