Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 15:34:31 PDT
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Peter Varley wrote:

>"Me too" postings are discouraged.

I don't know if Dave discourages "me too" postings, but if that's all
the response states, it's close to saying nothing [Which is exactly why
I discourage them.  They tend to be contentless.  We're not voting on
anything here.  -Dave].  Most list members, in addition to agreeing with
a previous view or comment, expand on the subject matter or take it down
a different avenue.

>Or perhaps people are a bit nervous about posting an opinion about
>something where there's no consensus.

That's probably true, but the remedy is not to wait for "consensus"
to build; the remedy is to display a little amount of boldness and
subsequently realize that any negative responses won't harm you.  However,
it's a fact that any word or sentence you write is subject to negative
Also, you can receive private postings which, of course, are not screened
by Dave; those postings can be much more hostile and insulting than any on
the list.  Personally, I find those types of private e-mails repugnant, and
I don't respond to their content.  I joined the list to communicate with
ALL the other list members.

Don Satz