Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 07:38:48 +0200
From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Bob Draper asks...

>Is there anything else besides the symphonies that anyone has heard?

about Alberic Magnard..

Well I have an old EMI CD set of his opera 'GUERCOEUR'.  It has been
collecting dust on my shelves atleast since I bought it 10 years ago, I
belive I lisened to it then, put it away and forgot about it.  Like most
French things on EMI its conducted by Michel Plasson, I have listened to
about five minutes of the prologue of this three hour epic when writing,
now I'm fasttracking through the discs to get a feel for the music; and its
sort of a mix between Berlioz and Wagner, most of it rather solemn music.
Reading in the booklet, its not really an opera but something like a
semi-religious opera-oratorio..  Unfortunatly its too late in the evening
and I'm to tired, so I cant really make it any justice at the moment, but
I promise that I'll give it a real chance, and will post a report sometime
during the coming decade 8^)

{on EMI 7491938, released in 1987 - and before someone asks, yes I bought
it unseen, with a batch of maybe 25 EMI cutouts back then}

I also have a mix of pianomusic played by one Christoph Keller on a
cassette somewhere, but I cant find it right now...  But, that's the wonder
of having a database of your recorded music collection, strange things turn
up.

Perhaps someone of our French co-listers have a opus-list to supply?

I, myself will look into (within this decade) Magnard's symphonies since
Don recomended them.

Cheers

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DSCH 100 (1906-2006)