Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:32:21 PDT
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Although I doubt there will be a bandwagon of recordings of the Magnard
symphonies, a new one on BIS has been released just about a year after the
series issued on Hyperion of all four symphonies.

The new recording is performed by the Malmo Symphony Orchestra under the
direction of Thomas Sanderling who received some excellent reviews for his
Brahms symphony series.  Magnard symphonies 1 and 3 are contained on the
BIS recording.  Since I easily located my Hyperion discs, my first order
of business was comparing the two recordings.

First, a few words about the symphonies themselves.  They are excellent
works that that I enjoy more each time I hear them.  I suppose they could
be identified as late romantic in nature, although I find them more
romantic than "late".  They contain some fine melodic development, lovely
and intense melodies, sufficient variety, and form a coherent whole.  For
fans of romantic or late romantic music, these symphonies are a mandatory
acquisition.

Now to the available versions.  There is an older set on EMI performed
by Plasson which I have not heard.  Reviews were very good, but I'm not
sure that availability is universal.  The Hyperion set also received fine
reviews, and I have enjoyed it much over the past year.  The new Sanderling
recording, however, is an improvement on the Hyperion.  Although tempos are
slower than for Hyperion, I could hardly notice any difference.  Sanderling
and his orchestra display greater incisiveness and provide a more exciting
performance.  The sound plays a part in this conclusion.  The Hyperion
sound is slightly muffled with some instrumental contributions obscured
in the overall sound fabric.  BIS provides its usual superb sound stage
and better sound separation; I felt I was getting the full benefit of
what Magnard has to offer.

Overall, both versions are fine additions to the Magnard discography.  I do
prefer BIS/Sanderling, but the Hyperion set is no slouch.

Don's conclusions:

   Hyperion - Worthy of Purchase.
   BIS      - Must Buy.

Don Satz