Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:16:17 PDT
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Felix Delbrueck wrote:

>....I want to start with a recording that makes it clear that the
>interpreters have thought about and understand the music, that shows me
>explicitly what Bartok is up to - ie not just an accurate execution of
>the score.  In particular, I want to get a clear structural sense of how
>the individual moments work in relation to one another - musically and
>emotionally.  In short I want a 'relevatory' recording.

I suppose that's what we all want, but each person's notion of 'relevatory'
can be quite distinct.  So, without having any idea if Felix would find a
particular recording to be revelatory, I recommend the Emersons on DG or
the Vegh on Auvidis.  I have the feeling that Felix would find the Vegh to
be the more idiomatic of the two, but I'm not confident of that either.  I
do know that some folks feel that the Emersons put a gloss on the music and
"internationalize" it.  It all depends what you want.

Don Satz