Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 02:33:12 -0600
From:
Chris L Beckwith <[log in to unmask]>
Janos wrote:

>This is one of those truly dumb things that you cannot quite believe even
>when you see it.  Even when you see it on a screen that's 80 feet by 100
>feet.
>
>Whales.
>
>Hundreds and hundreds of whales, swimming and flying (yes), and nothing
>else, but whales.

Now now, ...  of course, what did dinosaurs have to do with Rite of
Spring?  (Speaking of which, "Time" fibbed in its recent review of the
new "Fantasia" when, discussing the history of the first project, stated
that Stravinsky liked what Walt had done with "ROS" and thereupon gave him
rights to a number of his other pieces.  Baloney.  Stravinsky hated it but
loved the money.) Too bad about the new one, but if kids like it, who's
to say otherwise ....  My only beef:  no living composers in the line-up.
They should have commisioned a piece if need be.  Kids certainly understand
that animation is a contemporary tradition - they should come away
understanding "classical" music is, too.

By the way, did Pixar contribute any segments? What an animation shop!  A
perfect project for them!

"Chris L Beckwith" <[log in to unmask]>