From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 01:49:12 +1200
> Here in Australia this is called floral varities.  Honey is quite
> often sold under it's flora label e.g. ironbark, yellow box,
> clover etc.  It even appears on the supermarket shelves in floral
> types It is sold for a dearer price than the blended honeys.

> Of course the problem is that unscrupluous people can substitute
> other honeys that are not true floral types and charge the higher
> price.

New Zealand has moved in the same direction over the last 25 years or
so.  I remember the first guy I knew here who was extracting small
lines and selling them as individual sources - now it is the norm.
And from a value adding point of view, it can be a very good thing.
We in New Zealand are trying to encourage the 'sophisticated user',
trying to get people to choose the right honey for the particular
purpose, etc. (and getting better returns for the beekeeper in the
process!).

You can read some of the descriptive words we've used for our honeys
at http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/honey.htm

  (\           Nick Wallingford
 {|||8-        home [log in to unmask]
  (/           work [log in to unmask]