From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 00:24:12 -0400
John Partin wrote:

> I will try to explain.  In order for the drone to be the one who passes
> it on the gene would have to be located on the Y chromosome.  Females do
> not have a  Y chromosome.

While this is true in vertebrates and perhaps other species, I don't
believe it holds true for the honey bee.  In bees, the drones are all
copies of one half the queen's chromosomes since they arise from
unfertilized eggs.  Therefore there can be no Y chromosome here.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA