From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:28:23 +0100
Deryk Barker:

>Slatkin is to my mind not much more than blandly good throughout his cycle.
>JB is fabulous, but I'm itching to hear the composer-conducted version
>coming from the BBC IIRC.

I agree with you.  I definitely think that Previn's VW always is better
than Slatkin's.  I just meant that no 5 is one of Slatkin's better
achievements.  If you can live with the sound quality of VW's own recording
of #5, it might be a winner....

>>>6 - Previn, Boult
>>
>>Slatkin is OK.
>
>Again, OK is not really enough.  I really like the Stokowski which
>accompnaied the Mitropoulos 4, with the 1st version of the scherzo I seem
>to remember.

As I stated before, I'm very happy with my Previn set.  I just mentioned
what I've compared with.

>>>7 - Boult
>>
>>I'm not so impressed  by Antarctica for the moment....
>
>Only one 'c' - "Antartica" is the Italian. I like Previn here.

I've changed my mind.  When I listened to "Antartica" yesterday without
any interruptions or external disturbances (the rest of the family is on
ooliday), it sounded as good as it did six years ago.

Mikael