From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 11:51:23 -0400
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>>...  Who was the 19th-century guy who wrote three oratorios, designed
>>to be performed separately or simultaneously? He was probably engaged in
>>contrapuntal feats that make Bach's efforts seem positively puny, but who
>>cares?

And Mikael Rasmussen replied:

>Are you referring to Liszt and "Christus"?

Steven is referring to the guy whose abovementioned experiment, when Liszt
heard about it, fired the latter's imagination and made him want to attempt
something similar.  I'm not sure Liszt ever actually heard or examined the
score of the work in question.  I think the guy's Italian-- certainly he's
totally forgotten.  This matter was in either volume 2 or 3 of Alan
Walker's Liszt bio-- probably whichever one talks about "Christus".

Jon Lewis