From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:13:53 +0000
Bill Strother Said:

>Thomas Beecham was also a fine Haydn conductor, and he left us all 12
>London Symphonies.

Bill's right Beecham's performances are amazing.  But beware of tape hiss
and altered scores.

However one thing I've noticed is that there is no one overall
recomendation for all the symphonies.The best version varies between works.

Beecham's 102,101 and 103 are, in my view, the best versions of these
works.  Here's a taster of some more Londonish Symphonies...

90 Kuijken Virgin
91 Davis Philips
92 Groves IMP
93 Davis Philips
94 Robert Hayden-Clark Collins Classics (who's he!)
95 Solti Decca
96 Davis Philips
97 Prague Philharmonic without conductor Supraphon
98 Ditto
99 Solti Decca
100 Robert Hayden-Clark Collins Classics
104 Groves IMP

Bob Draper