HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
SouthArc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:33:22 -0400
We have one of those sites in South Florida.  It's called Coral Castle,
located in Homestead (near Miami).  It was built in 1923 by a Latvian
immigrant.  There is a romantic story that he started building it for his
bride but she never arrived.  However he kept building (and never married)
and it now includes oversize rock furniture.  The site is now a public
attraction open daily.

Interestingly, I think we have one of these in progress near St. Augustine.
Someone is building a castle of concrete block at Vilano Beach just north of
St. Augustine.  This massive thing actually has battlements, towers and
crennellations--all in concrete block.  It is apparently a self-designed and
self-constructed structure which the owner periodically opens to the public
(for a fee of course--supposedly to continue to acquire materials).  I guess
he is inspired by the fort in St. Augustine.  I can't imagine how he got by
zoning requirements in this otherwise normal small beach town.

                Lucy Wayne