HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:23:56 +0100
Apologies for cross-postings: please reply to [log in to unmask]

======================
Volunteer Opportunities:
Archaeological Excavations at L'Abbaye de Grosbot
(Charras, Charente, France)
======================

The Department of Archaeology, University of Bristol (UK) will be holding
the
fifth season of excavations and survey at L'Abbaye de Grosbot, between 13th
August and
2nd September 2001. Student volunteers are welcome to participate (no
academic credit available).

Grosbot is a privately-owned Cistercian Abbey located on the northern
borders of the Dordogne. It is set among woodlands and countryside in the
heart of rural France. The project is mainly focused in an area to the east
of the Church, where we
will be excavating a complex of buildings.

This is a research project, and we invite students to join us for a minimum
of two weeks. Experience is preferred, although not essential.
Archaeological
training and instruction will be provided and we are quite happy to validate
participation
where this may be helpful for University purposes.

A camp site is provided close to the Abbey, and participants are expected to
bring their own tent and bedding. We have a barn for shelter and the
preparation of food and some shower facilities, but *conditions are fairly
spartan*. The basic fee is UKP 35 a week (UKP 100 for three weeks) and this
covers the
cost of food and the campsite facilities.

To apply, please email Dr Mark Horton ([log in to unmask]). An
application form (available from the website) is required, with two