HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Mary C. Beaudry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 13:00:21 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

I have a student who is pursuing a research project based on a single
artifact recovered from the builder's trench of a late 18th/early
19th-century privy at the Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm in Newbury,
Massachusetts.  It is a portion of a polychrome painted earthenware
small plate or saucer, with polychrome transfer print in the center
(not enough of the center is present to make out what is depicted).
Around the plate rim or bouge there are Masonic symbols:  compass
w/rule; hand with heart in palm; open book; crescent moon surrounded
by stars; sun with oriole.  About half the rim is missing so
presumably all the other relevant symbols would have been present as
well.   The painting is rather poorly executed but not unlike what
Pat Halfpenny shows in her book on painted earthenware toys
(figurines), and though I know that the occupant of the site ca.
1799-1810, when such toys were produced, was a Lodge member, I'm not
altogether certain we can say the object dates to this time period.

I know that other historical archaeologists have excavated items
bearing Masonic symbols, having once heard a paper on pipes that were
so decorated.  I'd be interested in knowing just how commonly such
items appear in the archaeological record, and the range of types of
objects found, in what contexts, etc..  Please direct me to the
archive if you've all already dealt with this topic during one of the
times I was not following the list.

Thanks in advance for any input and enlightenment.

Best regards,
Mary Beaudry

--

Mary C. Beaudry