HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"MacLeod, Heather" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 07:16:45 -0500
I would like to thank all of the participants in this thread for their
comments and contributions to my initial query.
It is both exciting and comforting to hear people's comments from many
different positions on this issue.  I think many of us possess elements of
these various viewpoints in our own perspectives and may find it difficult
to choose with finality between them.  We have seen comments from the
ethnographic-observer viewpoints, modernists, post-modernists,
archaeologists-as-advocates of both cultural relativism and maintenance of
real cultural heritage property. I think it is important to recognize what
this means for the practitioners of archaeology.  As one who has studied
archaeology at undergraduate and graduate levels in anthropology departments
and has often felt the "spurn" of anthropologists, on occasion, because many
view today's archaeology as an antiquarian pursuit, I think we have
demonstrated, yet again, the complementarity and inter-dependence of both
anthropology and archaeology.
Cheers,
Heather