HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ross Jamieson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:34:48 -0800
A student is about to undertake an analysis of 20th century
industrially-produced ceramics, and I'm at a bit of a loss where to
point them for reference material.  I'm aware of various catalogues of
maker's marks (Kovel, etcetera), but am more interested in discussion of
pastes and decorative techniques.  Majewski and O'Brien (1987) provide
an excellent starting point for this, but I was wondering whether there
are other important general overviews for 20th century American/British
ceramic identification?  Feel free to send responses directly to me.
I'd be happy to provide a summary to the list if people are interested.

Ross

REF:
Majewski, Teresita and Michael J. O'Brien
 1987 The Use and Misuse of Nineteenth-Century English and American
Ceramics in Archaeological Analysis. In Advances in Archaeological
Method and Theory Volume 11, edited by M. B. Schiffer, pp. 97-209.
Academic Press, San Diego, CA.

--
Ross W. Jamieson
Assistant Professor, Department of Archaeology