HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:34:53 -0500
Some how I missed the original message on culling artefacts, but having read
the last two messages I feel I have to put my come forth with my opinion.  I
have worked on both sides of the Pacific and am familiar with many curation
facilities in the states and now here in Australia.  All facilities now
require a detailed catalogued of artefacts from a archaeological
investigation.  Why not just submit examples or a sample of each  artefact
type catalogued, not the whole collection.  How many fragments of undecorated
whiteware do we need?  In this manner anyone who wishes to study the
collection can look at the artefact types submitted and determine the
criteria used by the original analyst.