HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:49:25 +0000
I have been asked to identify a curious medallion that was found on a
Missouri farm (bootheel section) about 30 years ago. I have two jpeg images
that I can send to anyone that is interested (I haven't got my website up
and running yet so can't put them on for general viewing at present). The
piece is about 3 in. in diameter and is probably brass. One face shows the
head profile of a man dressed in one of those hats that actors always wear
in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet--with what looks like a stuffed cloth
roll that fits around the head and has flowing material coming out of the
crown and down the sides. Underneath the profile is a name - Don Inigo de
Davalos.

The other face has a shield with a symbol that looks like a castle but more
stylized like a chess rook, at the top edge flanked by flowering vines; the
center is hard to determine but may be some kind of landscape image. Below
the inscription reads:
        PERVVISEFA
OPVS PISANI PICTORIS

I tried to translate the inscription through several online dictionaries in
Italian, Spanish, Latin and Portuguese but had no luck in getting anything
that made sense. I haven't tried identifying the shield as a possible coat
of arms but am going to. Does anyone have any ideas?
Nancy O'Malley
Assistant Director
W.S. Webb Museum of Anthropology
and Office of State Archaeology