HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Roderick Sprague <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:25:02 -0800
At 14:38 24-03-00 -0500, you wrote:
>Just an interesting suggestion:
>
>What do you think of the feasibility of replacing hardware cloth with a much
>sturdier material? I found this site that provide laser cut materials, my
>idea would be a lightweight steel alloy, thin but strong, laser cut with
>precision to the relatively same dimensions of the hardware cloth.
>
>http://www.edgewisetools.com
>"When is safety safe? When it is as safe as a laser printer."
>George J. Myers, Jr.

George

For over thirty years I have been using steel burner-cloth or
burner-wire.  It is steel wire woven at various dimensions.  It is
expensive but cheaper in the long run and keeps a consistent
dimension.  Any large steel supply house should have it in stock in rolls
of various widths and opening sizes.  Plan on an initial four figure cost
for a roll and you need sturdy frames of wood or even steel.  With a little
experience it can be quickly cut by hand with a cold chisel.  You might
compare costs to your new suggested source.  Please let us know what you find.

Rick