HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Mouer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:14:06 -0400
This thread has been one of the better ones on HSTARZCH in a while IMHO!
Historical Arch'y has to deal with the very powerful "atheoretical"
school created by some of its important founders. Here in Virginia, at
least, there is the Ivor Noel Hume school, perfected in a way by Bill
Kelso. These folks and their students/colleagues have produced some very
important works in historical archaeology. All of it without a hint of
"overt" theory, which means, of course, that it is enjoyable reading to
begin with <G>. I find this school quite in keeping with much that has
been highly touted as "interpretivism" (including my own approach) in
recent years. We can't ignore this work, but it sure is wide open for
some serious critical analysis of its underlying assumptions! Where are
the PhD candidates when you need them?