HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Philip Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 07:37:44 -0400
It seems to me that American historians since the 1960s have often liked to
play both sides of the field--on the one hand denying the possibility of
total objectivity while also harboring in their hearts a true desire for it.
The New Social History, for all of its greatness and foibles represented to
some extent an embracing of statistical methods as a path to a truer
historical truth. If this was not old style Rankean objectivity slipping in
through the back door than what else was it? If you look at faculty list you
will see that these first and second generation NSHers are alive and well. I
have heard many scholars argue emphatically for the authority of the
numbers--guess it's part of being Western. It seems to me that archaeometry
offers the same kind of shelter under the culturally secure umbrella of
science. There are always academics who are willing to challenge the
perceived objectivity of the sciences, but for most folks the sciences are
still seen as objective endeavors as opposed to the subjectivity of the
humanities (we can go on that one for weeks). The so-called hard sciences
themselves often seem to still embrace this vision. The closer Hist arch or
history gets to the style, image, and form of the hard sciences the stronger
the attempt to claim the hard sciences perceived objectivity. It seems to me
that the divide in objectivity is not between historians and archaeologists
per se but rather between practitioners in both fields who reject/struggle
with/critique objectivity and those who try to practice it.

Ned Heite offered some good points here. A friend of mine liked to say that
theory had no role in history. I always relied to him that that was a
theory.