HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 14:15:01 -0400
I have just run across a difficult problem that I thought, perhaps, someone
out there might be able to help with.  We are researching an early airplane
hanger structure located on a small municipal airport runway.  It is still in
use and was built in 1939.  It is a stand alone wood frame, corregated metal
sided clearstory structure.  All other buildings at the airport date from at
least the 1960s.  There is no statewide context for civilian aircraft
structures in Utah; there is barely a history of civilian aviation.  There
are good military aviation context documents here, but civilian is fairly
invisible.  Are there sources for civilian aviation architecture, runway
development and related subjects that anyone knows of nationally for this
time period, particularly in Western rural states?

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.
Ogden, Utah