HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:24:38 -0400
At 9:06 AM 8/16/99, Diane Dismukes wrote:

> Technology is created by humans and the changes in technology
>are based on choices humans make in response to their environment.
>Examining the history of technology, from pointed sticks to
>computers, is examining the choices humans have made about
>what they need in their infrastructural repertoire to
>interface with the physical and cultural
>environment in which they live.

Agreed.  I have no quibble with people who apply anthropological insights
to other lines of research. The world would be a lot more civilized if this
were a more common practice.

But the history of technology is a free-standing discipline, frequently
more a branch of engineering than of anthropology. If I am digging an iron
furnace stack, I am a servant first of the historians of ironmaking
technology. I will contribute to the knowledge base of that discipline,
which is equally as respectable as anthropology.

I can't accept Scholl's dismissal of other disciplines as less worthy.

                 ____    It's almost her birthday!
              __(____)_  Baby was shipped
             /Baby the|_ from the plant at
       _===_/1969 Land|| Lode Lane, Solihull,
      |___ Rover ___  || on September 4, 1969.
    O|| . \_____/ . \_|  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BABY!
  Ned Heite, Camden, DE