HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:05:41 -0700
Joan Griffith wrote:

"Do you seriously not know that those round things with the scalloped edges
are bottle caps??"

Ms. Griffith, thank you for your condescending help in the identification
of the subject disks.  I realize that I should not have confused the issue
by including other bottle closures along with the two unidentified objects
and that I should have been more specific in my description (left to right,
etc.).  I do, however, feel confident that in the combined 80+ years of
experience of our archaeologists (including my 24 years), we know what
bottle caps look like!  If I am wrong, and I have been before, I apologise
and ask you for a reference of your wisdom.

If you (Griffith) had bothered to read the message in conjunction with the
photo you would have noticed that I said "Next to the horseshoe...;" the
obvious bottle caps are not next to the now identified 'tobacco tag'
horseshoe.  Also, bottle caps do not have "centered holes" that penetrate
the basin.  And finally, bottle caps do not have pronounced scalloped edges
such as those on the stamped disk. Rather, the bottle caps we have
recovered (crown caps) have machine crimped edges.  There is an extreme
difference in the physical appearance, manufacturing techniques,
discriptive terminology, and assumed function between the recovered crown
bottle caps and the unknown disks.

Thanks to all of those list members who have provided positive responses!
Your help is appreciated in bringing this 1.5 year project to a successful
conclusion....ww