HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:25:51 -0500
Yo, Greg:

You should start with Brain's "Tunica Treasure," which presents a typology
of small brass bells; if I remember correctly, this typology was organized
to assess progress of the various Spanish entradas in the S.E., esp.
deSoto.  Hudson, DePratter and others have also written on this--Clarksdale
(?) Bells as being important in tracking the deSoto and Pardo expeditions,
from regional distributions of bells, among other artifacts.  Hudson and
DePratter are published through U. Tenn. Press, and the South Carolina
Institute of Arc. & Anthro., respectively; South's several publications
(also from SCIAA) on the artifacts of Santa Elena may make some mention of
bells, though I am not sure.  Seems to me there is also a number of
publications from Florida--U. Florida Press, should mention them at least
in passing.

Apologies for probably telling you things you already know.