HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Westaway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:31:22 +1100
Dear Annie

By any chance did this Juan Ravenet character illustrate any Aboriginal people suffering from pathological condtions? I once saw an early illustration of an Aboriginal woman from Sydney with a deformation of the spine and have since wondered who was responsible for the illustration.

Thanks

Michael Westaway
Manager - Repatriation Section
National Museum of Australia
GPO Box 1901
Canberra ACT Australia

0417 299 188

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/23/01 06:00pm >>>
Ron,
Your comment about Malaspina is very interesting as the
expedition came here to Sydney in March 1793, and stayed for
a month.
The artist Juan Ravenet drew a portrait of a convict man and
woman, and it is one of the very few portraits we have of a
convict woman while still a convict, rather than later when
freed. We have many more pictures of convict men. The
expedition artists also drew portraits of Aborigines, and
some townscapes.
Annie
Anne Bickford
Heritage Consultants
135 Catherine St. Leichhardt NSW 2040 Australia
Ph: 02/95699672  Fax: 02/95500261