From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 12:12:34 -0800
Roger Hecht responds to a posting regarding those "old fashioned LP's:"

>This is funny.  I'm feeling superannuated.  The writer must be young.
>These are the kinds of questions I used to ask about 78s!  Oh well.
>Time passes.

You know, my mother just bought a turntable again, and thinking about the
tons of albums I could get her for Christmas for less than the cost of a
cup of coffee, (who would have thought?), I ventured into the LP section
of Ameoba.

I haven't held an album in my hand for a long, long time.  Needless to say,
coming across the first CM album I ever bought, "Grieg's Greatest Hits" on
Columbia, almost made me a little emotional!  Just the feel and the smell,
and how, at 14, I would sit in my bedroom listening to this "great" music
while reading the cover notes over and over again, (what a nerd I was),
brough back *so* many vivid memories it was startling.

I wouldn't give up the reliability of CD's for anything, but I sure miss
the almost nurturing *effort* Lp's demanded before yielding their musical
pleasures--the costliness made them hard-won, (at least on my teenage
budget), and one false move and the record could be ruined forever.  And
let's not forget the cleaning--is that scratch *really* gone?

Mystical, beckoning landscapes frought with the temperment, frailty and
impermanence so similar to adolescent relationships--I wonder if this is
the *true* allure of the Lp.

John Smyth