From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:14:39 PDT
Tony Duggan was telling us of the management/labor dispute concerning the
upcoming millenium eve party and of the ENO orchestra member resolve not to
play at the event because they feel they are getting "screwed" (my word).

This is a good example of a market at work.  Individual members of an
orchestra have little to no bargaining strength; banding together creates
a much greater strength in negotiations with management.  It's a smart
thing to do and it can work.  Whatever the result will be, it won't be
based on anyone's notion of what's deserved, but on the relative strengths
of the parties involved.  I'd appreciate Tony giving us the finale of this
struggle, whenever that takes place.

Don Satz