From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:26:56 -0400
I pulled a boo-boo, not my first and if someone here doesn't choke me
off undoubtedly not my last.  The links were left out because they were
unusable in the form I posted them.  Excuse me, Dave.  These are the links;
they work.  I tried them in plain text.

This February at a public radio conference in Atlanta, a music critic
named Norman Lebrecht incited accusations of Nazism from public radio
music directors from around the country.  The bearded, bespectacled
British writer pounded his podium, shouting to the crowd.....

This debate posted on MINNESOTA PUBLIC RADIO goes on for four parts, with
interviews and sound clips from all sides.  It is the best of the bunch if
only because it is the wildest and most enjoyable, whichever side you
ultimately take.

   http://news.mpr.org/features/199706/18_parisib_classical/docs/lebrecht.shtml

The "venerable" Barnes and Noble posts ALL of chapter one as well as
the reviews I cited in my original unworkable post.  You also have the
opportunity to post your reaction to the world that reads such topics.

   http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?sourceid=00000130950243216602&ISBN=1559724153&bfdate=08-26-1999+02:33:05

This is the link to World Paper and William Mullins, a former editor with
the London-based Debrett's Peerage, who writes on artistic topics from
Cambridge, Massachusetts.

   http://www.worldpaper.com/DEC97/mullins.html

Salon Magazine uses Lebrecht's book as a point of departure to discuss
the issue.  They pitted their pop music columnist, Sarah Vowell, against
classical music critic Paul Festa in an e-mail duel debating the merits
of both forms of music.  To see who's left standing, read on ...

   http://www.salonmag.com/june97/entertainment/classical970627.html

The site below gives the British perspective, starting with the real
British original "When the Music Stopped" for its now better known American
incarnation "Who Killed Classical Music?" It also provides a biography of
Lebrecht.

   http://britishbooks.site.yahoo.net/britishbooks/1447.html

Again, it IS serious stuff.  But these links make it enjoyable---God!  I
hope so.

Andrew E. Carlan