From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:49:52 -0400
Bob Draper responded to my comment:

Tom Connor wrote:

>>...  I can be very intolerant of some performances based on the
>>imprint I've received from past listening.  But I've also found there are
>>performances that in comparison to what has been imprinted become more
>>exciting.  It goes both ways.  My own experience has been good performances
>>can be enjoyed, and as familiarity grows, the subtlety of performances
>>increases.
>
>What Tom is describing here is another manifestation of the Pavlov's dogs
>phenomenon I described in a recent posting.
>
>Here prior experience conditions anticipation and hence affects response.
>We don't accept new things readily but at the same time they make sit up
>and take note.  The result is either "wow what a fantastic version of this
>work" or damning condemnation.

I just heard the beginning of Alfred Brendel playing the Beethoven Diabelli
Variations on the car radio.  I have the earlier Vox version and found at
first hearing much I prefered over this likely, more recent version, but
found I was listening rather closely.  I enjoyed the music and look forward
to hearing this performance again.

Woof!

Tom Connor