From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:55:43 +1000
A minor disadvantage of being a Lister is that some allusions are lost on
the minority who do not live in the US and thus sometimes wonder what the
point of a thread might be, simply because a household name in the US is
a non-event elsewhere.

Some months back, I eventually had to ask about Borders.  I now need to
know about Lebrecht.  It's not clear just who the man is, but it seems that
his opinions are, for the most part, passionately derided and people might
say I'm fortunate not to have encountered his - whatever it is I haven't
encountered.

Obviously, he's not worth too much time for a biography but a quick rundown
would be interesting.  A web page would be, too.  I don't want to buy a
book - I prefer to spend on such essentials as CDs and food - but I feel a
bit like the only person in the room who hasn't seen a movie that's so bad
it's worth seeing.

Richard Pennycuick

 [Now, everyone, play nice.  No eye gouging or rock throwing.  And this
 time we'll forgive Richard for implying that because he doesn't know
 something, it must be peculiar to the US.  -Dave]