From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:46:30 -0700
I wrote:

>>When I managed the Classical Room of a CD store in Davis, CA, I found that
>>Early Music, Baroque Music, and Classical went out the door the most.

and Donald Satz responded:

> That's sure different from my experiences working in a classical music
> department.  Yes, early music sales were fairly brisk, but that was
>a temporary condition based on the Chant "fad" at the time.

and then he goes on this amazing tangent about a woman who made eyes at him
after he referred her to the Brahms Clarinet Sonatas:

>She kept standing next to me, looking at me
>with some kind of "awe" in her eyes and face.  I knew she was mine if I
>went in that direction.  But, being a loyal husband, my only impulse was
>to get as far away from her as possible.

I'll bet it was really hard back then to keep those newfangled wax
cylinders you were selling from melting right there on the spot.:)

Seriously though, I should have pointed out that Davis, Ca is a university
town and many of the customers that walked into the Classical room were
true connoisseurs.  I sold a lot of Harmonia Mundi, Hyperion, Centaur,
and Wergo.  Joe college student wanted the more modern stuff, and would
be perfectly happy with Copland performed by the Northern Arctic Sinfonia
on Naxos--I though I was going to go nuts.

A Lebrectian postscript:  I did such a good job managing that room that
now it is a head shop, er, tobacco shop.

John, younger and more beautiful than you, Smyth