From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 08:21:51 -0500
Anupam writes:

>I am attending a course on Greek Drama and was struck by the fact that the
>role played by music in these plays is practically ignored by most critics
>and we end up treating it like Shakespearean drama.

Except, of course, that Shakespeare's plays use music as an integral part
of the drama.

I don't know of any reconstructions, although, as you say, *somebody*
has to have done it.  I do know odd little bits.  For example, the film
composer Miklos Rozsa based some of his Quo Vadis music on original
sources, but I'm sure it's an artistic rather than a scholarly job.
There was also a CD put out of "original" music for the Psalms.  According
to some French scholar, the Bible Psalms contained "tunes" somehow
crptographied.  It all seemed rather tenuous to me.

Steve Schwartz