From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:38:04 EDT
Don Satz writes:

>I did find Bob's intimidation theme interesting.  Are there any listeners
>out there who feel intimidated into buying recordings they really don't
>want because of "consensus" opinion? Sounds strange to me.  Buying and
>listening to recordings is such a private activity that I can't imagine
>anyone not handling it just the way they want to.

I don't think that I have ever bought something that I didn't want but
I sometimes try to force myself to buy something that is supposed to be
important or influential instead of sticking with something that I already
know.

For instance, I tend to listen to late Romanticism and 20th century music.
Sometimes, I make myself check out some Bach or Haydn.  Ultimately, I
either get rid of something that doesn't move me or if I can tell that
there is something going on in a piece but it hasn't really hit me yet, I
will file it away to be listened to later.  Lately, I have been realizing
that it is better to try new music rather than buying yet another copy of
a Brahms or Mahler Symphony, which I would do if I didn't sometimes force
myself to try something different.  Ultimately, however, it is up to me
whether I keep something or sell it.

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)