From:
Stuart Karow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:00:29 -0700
I am interested in what other list members have as top picks in budget or
mid-priced HIP recordings. My interest in trying to begin this thread is
fueled by some recent purchases that I have made of HIP recordings and the
desire to acquire more like bargains. Here are few of my picks:

(1) Handel Messiah/Cristie/Les Ats Florissants/Harmonia Mundi/ 2901498.99,
2CDs, (I purchased mine, locally, $7.99, but seen elseware at still an
incredible $12.99)- This is a fine recording that I would pay full price
for but is now part of HM's introductory series, which includes a copy of
their '99 cataloge)

(2) Bach's Solo & Double Violin Concertos/Manze, Podger/Academy of Ancient
Music/Harmonia Mundi/ 2907155 ($7.99)

(3) Handel's Water Music, Royal Fireworks, Alchymist/Hogwood/Academy of
Ancient Music/L'Oiseau/455 709-2 (London's Double Decker, 2 fer series)

(4) Bach's Four Orchestral Suites/Koopman/Amsterdam Baroque/Erato (10.99)

I have found the above to be top recordings, irrespective of price.  Does
Don, or anyone know, the other Harmonia Mundi recordings in their new,
introductory series (their cat.  doesn't distinguish)? I have been waiting
for a reply, several weeks, from HM.  Thank you.

Stuart Karow