From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 00:47:52 -0400
Jeff Tedford asks if there is anything to this claim:

>Over the past six weeks I've been training for my new position teaching
>English - oops, Communication Skills- in an Urban St Louis Career Academy.
>I've heard it confidently stated,with the air of a known fact, that
>Beethoven was black.

I don't know why both sides responding are so sharp-edged.

Actually, it's about as likely as that I'm Karalian (don't write about
the spelling).  Of course, no possibility can ever be reduced to zero.

If you can get these kids to listen to Beethoven, you have my permission to
tell them he's their grandfather.  Does anyone think if we dug Beethoven up
today and asked him he would care? All he'd want to know is "how well are
my scores selling and is my estate is getting its royalties?" Just don't
tell him about radio, television, records, etc.  or we'll all go broke
paying arrears with interest.

Andrew E. Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Standing Up For Nielsen