From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 12:35:08 -0500
Derek Lim wrote:

>Hi everybody, Just a quick question: Is the last movement of Brahms'
>Fourth Symphony a Chaconne or a Passacaglia? A friend of mine insists
>it is a Passacaglia, but I think it is a Chaconne.

I don't have the score handy, but this is how you tell the difference.
A Passacaglia is a piece that is built over a repeating bass line.  A
chaconne is a piece that is built over a repeating chord progression.  I
would have to look at the Brahms as I am not so familiar with it as to call
it off the top of my head, but if you have the score handy, that's how you
tell.

Kevin Sutton