From:
Anthony G Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 15:38:06 +0200
John G. Deacon mentions:

>But one of us seems to have slightly misunderstood.  I thought the issue
>about Whither Salzburg? was to do with Mortier having introduced far too
>many (unpleasant) modern works at a totally unacceptable price structure
>and that notwithstanding this he had failed to drive away the audiences
>capable of paying these totally absurd prices.

It's quite normal that I misunderstand, sorry John.  On Mortier though,
from what I can see the poor chap is stuck (like eveyone else) between not
wanting to show too much of a loss in all areas, wanting to avoid criticism
that he is not doing anything in a prestigious public manner for "the newer
art", and trying to find the balance of that magic equation before
presenting it to an unsatisfyable set of critics.  There tends to be so
much politics behind anything at Salzburg that we never even get wind of.
They are an uninfluencible "Volk" unto themselves it seems.

Salzburg was always pretty "elitist" nicht wahr? I have personally
never have really liked being there.  Luckily I never had to actually buy
a ticket but sat adjacent to many who had not even flinched at spending
$500 for the pleasure.  Most of the operas I saw with the same or slightly
different cast in the Vienna opera over the next season or two where
everyone concerned seemed much more relaxed and the audience warmer and as
far as I could tell was more appreciative.  The standing tickets in Vienna
cost under two dollars.  I saw Bernstein, Solti, Haitink, Hollreiser, Stein
and so on for 15 Austrian Schillings, I think it's 20 now?

As far as I am concerned, I think there needs to be an elitist totally
snobbish outrageously expensive set of festivals worldwide.  Bless 'em,
let them subsidise my tickets elsewhere a little? There are enough people
who order the most expensive BMW or Mercedes here just because they can.
Was the film "Schtonk" ever out in an English version?

If Salzburg were the "only" place to hear a particular work I'd be
screaming louder than anyone.  The fact is, most ensembles, even the Berlin
or Vienna Phil, will rarely work up repertoire "just" for Salzburg, (the
record companies would rarely "condone" this and you know about that one
John).  Would be interested to see if the B's turn up elsewhere this year
also?

John, I am sure we don't disagree.  I just think that everyone has the
right to pay an absurd price if they want to and Salzburg has designated
itself world leader in offering this service:-) The radio broadcast smells
better in any case.

Anthony G Morris