From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 21:46:03 +0000
Ralf Oehlmann wrote:

>Last week I tried to get Haydn's string quartet Hob III:17 (= op.3 No.5)
>(Serenade) by the Kodaly Quartet.  I was astonished, because it is not
>available although Naxos announced to complete the cycle.  A Naxos speaker
>told me: "Op.3 No.5 is a spurius Haydn work, indeed are all six of the
>op.3 quartets.  They are thought to be by R. R. Hoffstetter." As the
>Kodaly Quartet will not record the quartet No. e 7, I would be pleased
>at your recommendations.

The scholarly assessment of these works is consistent with them not being
by Haydn.  So if they're not by the master why do you want them?

The Kodaly's have finished the Job and a good job too, exceeded (possibly)
only by the masaiques (spelling?).

Spend your money on something else like Jeno Jando's recordings of the
Haydn sonatas also on Naxos.

Or get the Beaux Arts boxed set of trios.

Have you got any of the master's opera?
What about the late song cycles?
Have your got all the masses yet?

There's plenty of other Haydn out there.

Bob Draper