From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:10:14 -0500
Arnold wrote:

>Of course, her's is a very personal style of interpreting, but one that is
>immediately identifiable (of how many pianists can one say that?) and yet
>permits the listener to get to the heart of the music, being guided by
>some-one who dedicated a lifetime of study to one composer's works.

Well,i don't think Tureck has a very personal style of interpreting
Bach.  She is an scholar.  she can sound personal maybe for people who
is accostumed to listen the tasteless actual Bach playing from the German
,Russian,and USA context in general terms(with it exceptions of course).
In those contexts normally the rule is to play Bach with few or not
ornaments(because it disturbes the "great line"or the "great prhase")
and as lirical as posible.  The merit of Tureck,is to re-instal dignity
in the aproach towards Bach music,and to recover in her interpretations,
the "essence" of the "Barroque",but i don't think it can be consider
personal,but "scholastic".Anyway i like her playing.  For me an example of
personal interpreting style,is that of Gould and Schiff.  And for me up to
these days,the Goldberg variations in "Gould style" are just unsurpasable.
Best wishes.

Gerardo:.