From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:21:52 +0000
Kuijken and Davis both have fine accounts (as others have said).  On a
different note, the former's authentic style does place strains on your
HIFI.  It can sound astringent unless your equipment is tip top.Davis'
has warm sound quality.

Mariner's versions are good too but personally I have a grudge against
the guy.

But look, you're talking about the best composer of all time (In my view)
here.  So why don't you get ALL the symphonies (80% are masterpieces after
all)?

Currently, this would give you three choices.  Dorati, Goodman or Hogwood.

Dorati has dubious sound and big ensemble.  But, gives trailblazing
accounts.  Goodman much better than reviewers say and he makes the
harpsichord meld in well (some say there should be no harpsichord).
Hogwood is slowly and surely working his way through the ouvre (hasn't
done Paris yet).  He has the benefit of sensational soud quality end
excellent playing.

My own solution was to buy all three plus Davis Kuijken etc..

Bob Draper