From:
Chris L Beckwith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 23:38:38 -0600
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Chris L Beckwith wrote:
>
>>I've picked up the two disc set of Biber's Violin Sonatas (Romanesca
>>Ensemble, Harmonia Mundi) and am wonderfully impressed.  ...
>
>The Mystery Sonatas? Or the Rosary? My favorite are the Mystery.  Just
>gorgeous and, as you say, passionate stuff.  Very improvisational in feel.

The accompanying notes only refer to them as the "Eight Sonatae" of 1681.
Elsewhere, the notes refer to other Biber works, including the "Rosary
Sonatas", so I assume the primary eight contained in this collection
are not those.  (in fact, there are two additional pieces included -
the "Passagalia" - which is part of the Rosaries, and the sonata "La
Pastorella," the origin of which is not identified.) Could these 8 from
1681 be the "Mystery," or something else altogether? In any case, armed
with some clarification, I shall make it my task to scout out the others.
Am a gushing, bona fide fan now......

"Chris L Beckwith" <[log in to unmask]>