Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 16:17:06 -0000
From:
Keith Bizeray <[log in to unmask]>
Since this subject is quite undead and won't lie down, and at the risk of
having overlooked an earlier mention of these names in this context, how
about Part, Taverner, and Hovhaness? They have all written mighty works in
relatively recent times, and are well worthy of the attention of those who
are not familiar with them...  Each owes nothing to the other, and as such
they represent three different directions amongst which to pick and choose,
or to enjoy together.

P.S.  I don't think that we should be surprised by an apparent shortage
of current major figures.  It takes time for talent to develop its full
potential, and time for us to take on and appreciate new ideas, hence by
the time we get around to noticing a major figure out there they could be
quite old, or have already joined the heavenly choir..

......And a thought on "Crossover". I had the great pleasure of meeting the
Modern Jazz Quartet and attending a number of their concerts when they were
at the height of their powers.  They adapted classical themes, improvised
with scholarly brilliance, and created an atmosphere more reminiscent of
the concert hall than the beer cellar.  They have also played and recorded
with Symphony Orchestras.  I've just listened again to their recording of
"Softly as in a Morning Sunrise" (thinks...when else does the sun rise?)
which, apart from swinging like the clappers, opens and closes with a canon
from Bach's "Musical Offering." However, those who know won't need telling,
and those who don't will have arrived too late...  the high days of "cool
jazz" have been and gone, alas.

Keith.