Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:55:15 -0500
From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
John wrote:

>What I miss in Bach, (and it's not his fault), is orchestral color,
>and changes in meter and dynamics within single movements.  His music,
>*within movements,* is infused with what I would call a sort of
>"mono-emotionalism".  There is no sense of ambiguity and mystery.  The
>Baroque is characterized by logic, restraint, and understatement; and while
>one can always find exceptions, the era as a whole just doesn't turn me on.

Well,i think is a little bit to much to look for orchestral color
(despite i think Bach did it more than enough) in this music,I think maybe
you are expecting that of the contemporary composers use with contemporary
orchestras maybe,or something like that.But into the Barroquian context,it
is not exactly neccesary.  About ambiguity and mystery: did you listen the
last movement of the Dminor concerto in the middle section?,it is plenty
of it. Or maybe too the Sarabande of the G minor English Suite for Piano
(harsphsicord)?,and many other examples you can find in that marvelous
music.  Cordially.

Gerardo:.