Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 16:32:25 -0400
From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
A discussion on this list recently included some recordings of Schumann
piano music, with a number of recommendations.  Since I did not have any
Schumann piano music in my collection at the time I was interested and
followed the discussion.  About the same time I was ordering some CDs and
saw a collection of Schumann piano music with Wilhelm Kempff for a little
over $US20.00.  I don't recall seeing Kempff mentioned in any of the
Schumann recommendations, but I took a chance.

Having listened to this 4 CD set about 15 times in the last 8 weeks or so,
it's good (and, I'm not masochistic).  It may not be the best, but Kempff's
dynamics and rhythm remind me why I hold this pianist in high regard.
(And, given the price, a great value.)

Sublime listening.  Sublime is good.

And Mimi, the CDs with L'Archibudelli playing the Brahms Sextets and the
Schubert Octet have arrived.  Although I've only been able to listen to
each a couple of times, I seem to want to hear them more, so I'll keep
listening.  When the Naxos and other recordings of these works arrive and
I am able to compare, I'll let everyone know which is 'best'.  In the
meantime, L'Archibudelli is worth this list'eners time.

These are all recordings which I look forward to using to learn this
music.  They are enjoyable, even sublime.  Wonderful preparation for other
listening of the same music.  For me, they will be a baseline to compare
and enjoy, more or less, other performances.  Eventually I imagine I will
become so used to them I will better appreciate other performances and
their subtleties.

Regards,

Tom Connor