Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 11:04:53 PDT
From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Felix Delbrueck wrote:

>This brings me back to another pet hate of mine, the CD culture: it's one
>of the unfortunate psychological effects of the permanency of recordings
>that people see records just as much as 'primary literature' as the notes
>on the page and expect 'the truth' from them, whereas as I've argued,
>musical performances are only always 'secondary literature'.

I only have favorable feelings about the CD culture, primarily due to
the permanence factor and lack of extraneous noises.  Also, I do not
know anyone who is unaware that recordings are 'secondary literature'.
Certainly, no list member has given me the impression that he/she considers
recordings "primary'.

Another great result of the CD boon has been all the obscure composers and
works which have received exposure and that we talk about frequently.

Don Satz